Another Pen for Western Culture

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Education and the Classical Curriculum

When I was 15, my favorite question was: What is the purpose of school?

Then as a teacher, I used to ask my high school classes the same question. You can imagine their answer: to get an education so you can go to college and get a great job and make a lot of money. But that's NOT the purpose of school. While the future ability to provide for a family is one of the functions of education, it is certainly not the only function or even the most important.

Education is the vehicle societies use to preserve themselves. That is, older generations educate the younger so the entire social structure can continue to grow. Americans educate their young so the nation doesn't collapse around us like a house of cards. As a teacher, I always saw my role as that of a runner in a relay. My job was to pass the baton to the runner who was to follow in my footsteps. If the baton were dropped, both of us would have failed.

But how do you do it? The United States is by any measure the greatest nation on Earth and the greatest in history, whether you look at economic prosperity, American ingenuity and inventiveness, the development of the world's most elaborate infrastructure, the amount of free time we have, and even the thriving religious diversity--hundreds of denominations, many of them filled with sincere people. The educator's role is to distill the most important principles in that culture and convey them to the citizens of tomorrow.
But it is a daunting task. I taught 12th-grade English, and 13 years after I started that job, I still have not read half of the greatest works in English. No English teacher ever does--there is just too much material. And the same is true of history, science, math, etc. You remember that book you always meant to read? I know you have a book or two in mind--and when you read that one, there will always be more. The amount of material is massive.

And this brings me to: the CLASSICAL CURRICULUM, a kissing cousin to what colleges call the liberal arts. "Had we but world enough and time," we could spend years and years teaching children the best works of every world culture. But we don't. We have 12 short years to make devoted American citizens of them. It is a sacred duty and one not to be taken lightly. And there is so much material that is critical: Shakespeare, John Donne, Beowulf, Hemingway, T.S. Eliot, Twain, Jonathan Swift, Daniel Defoe, Charles Dickens, Alexander Dumas, Victor Hugo, John Steinbeck, Milton, Bunyan, and the list goes on and on and on, and in every subject. The classical curriculum is the only way to approach education; everything else simply wastes too much time. How can we prepare our children for the world of tomorrow if we waste half their time on material they will never hear of again? Face it, your kids don't want to go to school, and sometimes you'd rather not send them. Is it fair to waste their time on material that has virtually no educational value, material that is chosen not for its relevance to American reality, but for its ability to elicit certain emotional or moral responses, many of them contrary to the things that made this nation what it is today?

Most schools today, including KISD, tend to follow a hit-or-miss curriculum, an unfocused shotgun blast of classical elements, political correctness, multi-culturalism, and books and projects forced on the schools by various interest groups. All of these things, while they may have some merit, are examples of the good shouldering out the BEST.

I support the classical curriculum because it is the most efficient and effective way to educate students in the things that matter most in all areas of an American life.

You can read more about the Classical Curriculum by clicking here.

16 Comments:

  • Hmmmm....interesting. As someone with a B.A. in Classical Studies, I was intrigued by this idea. However, based on the materials presented on the web site, I'm disappointed.

    It seems to be unduly influenced by the political pressures of the day. Teaching a civil rights class to seven year-olds is wrong-headed in my opinion. Parks and Chavez come far after Adams, Washington and Jefferson.

    Of course, I'm more hidebound than most in my leanings. I don't think sixth graders can really "get" the Illiad or the Odyssey, at least not in any form that comes close to dactyllic hexameter. You end up teaching them the story ONLY, in some terrible prose translation like Prouse's, and my fear is that you've effectively innoculated them against further interest in the subject.

    To put it succinctly, if this is the best we can do, then we are truly without hope. O tempore, O mores.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:01 AM, March 31, 2006  

  • Mike, I don't know enough about the specifics of the Core Knowledge Foundation to respond to your comments. While I strongly support their preference for quality material, I can't account for the details. Frankly, I'm surprised about the civil rights material. I completely agree with your preference for Adams, Washington, and Jefferson. You're exactly right. And without knowing more, I have a hunch any nod to the civil rights movement appeared on the website due to the enormous pressure coming from outside groups who have previously accused the Core Foundation of promoting a "White" curriculum. But of course, I don't know.

    And the Iliad and the like are certainly too difficult for six-year-olds to appreciate.

    However, I'd rather expose them to elements of the Iliad, a short and age-appropriate excerpt for example, than have them reading things they'll never hear or see ever again because the works are of such low quality.

    There are probably dozens of classical curricula around the nation, but my hat's off to E.D. Hirsch, author of CULTURAL LITERACY and the founder of the Core Foundation. It was largely his efforts that revived this time-tested approach.

    Thanks for your thought-ful comments.

    By Blogger S., at 7:47 AM, March 31, 2006  

  • By the way, I wrote this post so that I might have something to pass out to parents attending last night's open house at a charter school my kids will likely attend next year, where Wendy will work, and on whose board I may sit. They have adopted the classical curriculum although they plan to implement it in a fashion more in line with Austin's Regent's School http://www.regentsschool.com/--although without the emphasis on religious education.

    Click on "Academics."

    By Blogger S., at 8:10 AM, March 31, 2006  

  • Well, actually I have never been exposed to either The Iliad or The Odyssey. I wonder if I'm immune?
    I will surely ponder that while I
    read James Patterson's latest thriller. (Women often think on multiple subjects at once.)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:24 PM, March 31, 2006  

  • you're immune in the sense that you were schooled at a time when schools had not yet lost sight of what matters most. They may not have all been perfect, but given student behavior and parent/ community reinforcement, and the respect and effort with which all concerned usually approached academics, your generation did okay. That's what I think.

    By Blogger S., at 2:42 PM, March 31, 2006  

  • Awwwwwww!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:11 AM, April 01, 2006  

  • I remember feeling, at the time of my college graduation, that I'd finally reached something close to what a high-school graduate of 30 or more years my senior would have achieved.

    For example, it was only after significant study of Greek, with its emphasis on grammar, that I felt I understood English grammar. I had never heard of the subjunctive until Greek, for example, although it's very much present in English. Understanding subjunctive contrary-to-fact opened my eyes to so much in grammar. Why was this kept from me?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:11 PM, April 01, 2006  

  • Oh, you poor baby! Life is so
    hard.
    I had to learn it, back in the
    olden days, but do I remember
    it now? Well, I guess not! I
    hope learning all that helps me
    use English better, though. (Not
    that I learned any Greek, mind you.
    Just the subjunctive stuff.)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:00 PM, April 02, 2006  

  • In an echo of what Mike has put forth, I too learned more of the intricacies of the English language by studying a foreign one(Spanish) that has a lot of emphasis on the subjunctive tense: they kept telling me that English doesn't have it, but were I to properly educate them in English, I would be certain to enlighten them on how we use it here.

    Another thought about the education that prior generations received: it seems that there is less emphasis on good literature these days in school-age children, most opting for the latest entertainment book instead of those that have proven to be entertaining for decades (and centuries even). I think that this draws people away from the classics simply because they are seen as old and irrelevant.
    I have lately been reading books that are on the classic lists simply because I want to read them if I haven't. Some are marvelous and I wish that parhaps I could have been assigned one to read in high school instead of some others, but then I can't think of many books that I wish I hadn't read in school. Except that Calculus 3 theory book. They can have that one back.

    By Blogger The Doctor, at 8:10 PM, April 02, 2006  

  • Dennis, if I were you, I'd stay better in touch with my mother!
    Just in case . . .

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:29 AM, April 03, 2006  

  • I learned about the subjunctive case as an English major. But ironically, it came from the professor in the form of an article by William Safire. She seemed to take it for granted that we all knew what the subjunctive case was (would it were so!). This assumption on her part is exactly the sort of expectation of shared knowledge that caused E.D. Hirsch to write CULTURAL LITERACY and to propose a curriculum that addresses shared knowledge and not just skills, as so many post-Dewey educators did.

    Dewey and others, signers of the Humanist Manifesto or whatever it's called, believed in teaching the skill of reading but argued that the material was irrelevant, but did not actually believe that in my opinion. I think he used the argument as a way to break free from the 'puritanical' classics. In truth, Dewey knew the power of the content and did what he could to rid schools of all things traditional, knowing they would be replaced with wondrous works like Morrison's Beloved, a novel about the ghost of a dead child, the opening scene of which concerns freedmen and their lust for bovine flesh.

    By the way, I too learned more grammar while studying foreign languages, esp. Greek.

    Great comments.

    By Blogger S., at 9:15 AM, April 03, 2006  

  • Know any Espanol? Saturday I had lunch with P. Schmalz and his madre. A Spanish-speaking waitress was refilling his tea and he wanted more ice. He gestured (and gesticulated) and tried to figure out how to say it.

    "More frio--what is, Steve? 'More frijoles?'--Yeah, frijoles, please."
    The waitress just smiled demurely, like she knew nothing. But I laughed out loud, and picked up his tea glass.
    "That's beans, Paul. Beans!" I turned to the lady, holding the glass in the air and pointing at it.
    "Mas frijoles, por favor. MAS frijoles!!" Then she really did laugh.

    I was proud of myself. My first joke in Espanol (and a relatively complete sentence). As you can imagine, it's not often I know more Spanish than anyone else....

    By Blogger S., at 9:21 AM, April 03, 2006  

  • Well, helado to you.
    And if I were you, I'd learn a few
    phrases en EspaƱol.
    (I know. I am in danger of running my little-and I do mean
    little-joke into the ground. But I have a hard time making jokes in English! Bear with me.)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:39 PM, April 03, 2006  

  • Of course I meant "hielo,"
    although I much prefer
    helado.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:49 PM, April 03, 2006  

  • Como se dice in Ingles, 'helado' y 'hielo'? Cause baby, no comprende.

    By Blogger S., at 8:38 PM, April 03, 2006  

  • They are ice cream and ice.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:51 AM, April 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home