Another Pen for Western Culture

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

My Favorite Christmas Song of All Time.

That Night

That night
In all of Heaven
There wasn't a sound

As God
And the angels
Watched the Earth.

For there,
In a stable
The Father's only Son

Chose to give Himself
Through human birth.


And when the cry of a baby
Pierced the universe,

Once for all
men were shown
their worth.


And the heavens exploded,
With music everywhere.

And the angels spilled over heaven's edge
And filled the air.

And the Father rejoiced,
For He did not lose His Son,

But He gained to Himself
Forever
Those who'd come.


How many of you have heard this one? Great poetry--but you should hear it with the music. Wow. I think this may not be my favorite "Christmas song" but simply my favorite SONG. It tells such a great story. I find myself singing it all year, especially when I'm out west looking at a night of a thousand stars.

3 Comments:

  • Oh, you're so right. I'd almost forgotten about it. Now I have to dig out the tape and
    listen and listen and listen!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:55 AM, December 21, 2005  

  • Do you remember who wrote it? When I googled the song, all I could find was another guy on a hymn forum posting the same question..... (Of course, I know an Aunt Brunson who would know.)

    By Blogger S., at 10:56 AM, December 21, 2005  

  • I just found it on tape! I thought it was lost. Wow. But it's bittersweet. When we get to sing it again?

    By Blogger S., at 7:54 PM, December 22, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home