Another Pen for Western Culture

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Tired of Tremulous Tenors

I like this article.
Have you noticed the improvement in Contemporary Christian music? There have always been great songs and talented singers. Michael W. Smith, for example, was an accomplished writer of church music before he was famous. But at some point I just lost interest in him and the other men on the scene. Or, more accurately, I liked them "okay" but wasn't much of a fan. I kept wondering when I would hear something with a little more . . . testosterone.

I like this article.
Enter Third Day with their Travis Tritt sound, and Casting Crowns, and the rockers Kutless, and Jars of Clay, and others. Doesn't it seem like the men singing Contemporary Christian music just hit puberty? Didn't the collective pitch drop about an octave? (Okay, a fifth?) I like that, and not just because I'm a bass. It's a whole mindset. James Dobson writes about it with insight in his book Bringing Up Boys--boys and girls are different and that's normal and that's okay. John Eldredge celebrates the differences in Wild at Heart, paraphrasing a Biblical passage about God thusly:

The Boy is a Warrior, Warrior is his name.


This post may be misleading, but it's not really the music I'm concerned about. I'm thinking about a culture, schools, and even churches that may not be addressing the needs of men. Some have written that we have "pared the claws of the Lion of the Tribe of Judah." Now we're doing the same thing to boys made in His image.
Did I mention, I like this article?
P.S. I have always thought being able to sing tenor, first tenor even, would be awesome. It's just hard to imagine that every talented singer out there is a tenor. I'm happy to finally hear a few baritones--otherwise this post is not really about the singing. To put this in American Idol terms (some of my best friends are quite literate in that language):
Would you rather listen to Ace (the most tremulous tenor ever) or Chris Daughtry (future owner of vocal nodes)?
Say what you will about Chris--his image is simple and masculine. No girly Bo Bice hair, no nasal falsetto runs, and a voice as dramatic and fresh for rock as Clay's was for pop. (But I worry about the abuse he heaps on his instrument. He may end up like Satchmo if he spends his career belting it from the neck.)
I like this article.

P.P.S. TIM MINER CUT HIS HAIR and washed off the make-up. The androgenous 1980s are officially over.

9 Comments:

  • steven - i think, sadly, that this runs very deep. we try to make everyone "equal" in today's ultimately PC world, and we start assuming "equal" means "same".

    it's a shame, really, because it's the characteristics at our very core, those characteristics which society has tried to erase, that make us men and women - that make us so very special and that make us so very much made for each other.

    i could go on, but then you'd just be reading a john eldredge book, wouldn't you? he says it much better than i ever could.

    By Blogger J C, at 11:27 AM, May 03, 2006  

  • You know I think Eldredge is just the greatest....

    Now to address secret comments I received by e-mail:

    As involved as I am in my own church, you know I would be the last person to make excuses for men not showing up. Frankly, that's not a problem in our church--even the article I linked says the same.

    And even though I put three or four links to the article, I don't necessarily endorse every line. But I think with so many men talking about it, the topic may merit some attention.

    Finally, again--my discussion of music was merely an illustration. I like it all, but have been surprised to discover my own preferences--even when it is all equally valid and spiritual.

    By Blogger S., at 7:54 AM, May 04, 2006  

  • I like the article, too. Down with the castrato-Christian sub-culture! May we continue to find our true voices.

    By Blogger The Doctor, at 4:29 AM, May 08, 2006  

  • Yeah!

    By Blogger S., at 5:08 AM, May 08, 2006  

  • Bo's hair girly?? LOL!

    Don't you know woemn go crazy for an alpha male with long hair.

    RAWR!

    Bald Chris? not so hot.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:06 AM, May 08, 2006  

  • I can't speculate on women's tastes, but I'd have to dispute your characterization of Bo as an "alpha male." ( Because 'alpha male' implies leadership of other males, ala the alpha wolf, I can comment on that.) I like Bo a lot, and would enjoy knowing him personally, I'm sure. But he's no alpha male. (Not that I am either. Most of us aren't.)

    As one with thick (if short) hair, I'm glad you don't prefer baldness. Whoever you are....

    On second thought--yeah, Bo's hair IS girly. All it needs is a few waves. I remember the way he used to swing his head like the models in the Pantene commercials. Definitely girly. Same goes for all the other long-haired rockers. That doesn't make them girly overall, or less attractive necessarily. But how else can you describe hair that long?

    When post-1964 (Beatles on Ed Sullivan) started growing longer and longer hair, the whole point was to illustrate the counterculture and the throwing off of the shackles of conventions. It was conventional for men to have short hair. So they rebelled and grew it long. But that doesn't make the style any less feminine. It just shows that the long-haired guy is no slave to societal conventions. But it's still girly hair.

    Did Duran Duran's wearing of makeup transform the centuries-old habit of womens' cosmetics into something manly?

    By Blogger S., at 11:25 AM, May 08, 2006  

  • Every day I understand a little better the old saying, "Ignorance
    is bliss." I had never heard of
    Tim Miner until today, thank the
    Lord.
    And I despise long hair. I even
    hated it when I was young. I
    hate it on guys and am not all that crazy about it on girls.
    So there.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:43 AM, May 09, 2006  

  • Well, thirty years ago you seemed to like it on your sons. I'll never forget the times when we'd hear, "Oh, what beautiful little girls you have there."

    (Of course, if my hair had been shorter I would have been even more embarassed, being then the only boy in school who's ears were visible.)

    By Blogger S., at 10:06 AM, May 09, 2006  

  • Of course I liked it. Do you have any idea how much money we saved on haircuts? But it wasn't draggy,
    greasy-looking long like Bo's and
    Ace's. It was cute.
    I like it better now, though.
    By the way, Miss T. is the huge
    exception to my other comment.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:18 AM, May 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home