Another Pen for Western Culture

Friday, February 17, 2006

American Idol Wins Gold During Sweeps Month.

American Idol beat coverage of the Olympics almost two-to-one? How can that be?

American Idol is better television, that's how. I have friends who look down their noses at the show--friends who can't sing, of course, and have never auditioned for anything. But what they seem to be mocking is the show's tame, family-friendly nature. Of course, that a show lacks a shooting, a surgery, or an autopsy does not necessarily make it bad. In fact, American Idol is the absolute, bona fide king of television, a collossus no other show can touch. And though I've watched them all, Idol is the only reality television that I like (or consider anywhere near reality). Here's why:

1. The people are real and the focus of the show is the contestants (as opposed to coverage of the Olympics which has become a showcase for broadcasters and political speeches not unlike an awards show--however, with regard to this first point, the Olympics is a probably a close second.)
2. The show is about singing--and at some point during the show everyone who watches will hear at least one or two songs that they like. (And they'll be well done, now that the auditions are over.)
3. The audition shows are great because everyone loves to hear someone else sing flat--I mean, it makes you realize that you can at least tell when they're flat, right? And apparently they can't? Somehow, that just feels good to people. (Although it's painful at times.)
4. Everyone loves to hear someone sing well, too. Especially the people who have worked hard and who keep on working hard.
4. People love to try to predict the judges' comments.
5. Not everyone has skiied, or "curled," but we've all tried to sing. You can relate.
6. We know what we like in a singer, and what we don't--people who may know very little about music still know what they like. Similarly, we are no longer a nation of readers. We're watchers of tv, and increasingly, obsessive listeners. Music fills way too much of our time and attention--but we have developed a ravenous taste for it.
7. The show always has two or three surprises: people who have a sound that actually is unique (it is such a cliche). Idol has had many, but a few have been cut so early, I can't remember them. The best examples may be Fantasia Barrino, Clay Aiken (not just another Barry Manilow--the guy has pipes!--though no one has heard them since the season ended; all his recordings are dull compared to what he is capable of), and at least two unique voices this year that I am excited about, one an energetic rocker, the other Alabama's answer to the marriage of Joe Cocker and Ray Charles.







Given the quality and variety of singers this season, I would not expect the Idol to topple any time soon.

10 Comments:

  • As someone said, "There's no accounting for taste."

    You know I love A-I, and I
    never miss it, or if I have
    to, I tape it.

    But there is absolutely
    nothing like the Winter
    Olympics in my book (the
    Chronicle TV Guide, that
    is.) I already look
    forward to 2010.

    If I'm still here.

    (And if not, enjoy it for me.)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:07 AM, February 18, 2006  

  • Just don't make me watch figure skating. (Speed skating's okay, speed-skiing--never quite a sport--is my all-time favorite.)

    By Blogger S., at 9:45 AM, February 20, 2006  

  • robb and i had the tv on whilst cooking dinner last night...and american idol was coming on...he said..."quick...change the channel...if anyone ever asks me 'did you see american idol last night' i want to be able to say...NO!"...i don't know why he is SO against it...it isn't my favorite...but that's because nothing is...i don't watch that much tv...but it was nice to have it buzzing and not thinking...

    btw...i was offended by the jorge lopez show last night...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:23 AM, February 22, 2006  

  • Robb's funny. But if he were to watch two or three episodes--especially all those auditions--he'd be hooked. Anyone who performs for a living would be. Even if you hate it on one level, you can't help but relate to it on another.

    I don't know about lopez. Is it George L? Either way--I've never seen it.

    By Blogger S., at 10:36 AM, February 22, 2006  

  • I have to agree with Mum. The Olympics is the one event on tv that I would watch even if the Simpsons was on. It is like an emotional salve for my soul. It is so much more than just a sporting event to me- it is like watching thousands of people do something that I would have given anything (so I say now) to be a part of. Just watching a medal ceremony for any one of them from any country makes me misty-eyed, but when it is an American, I just imagine myself up there. It is so cathartic.

    By Blogger The Doctor, at 2:35 PM, February 22, 2006  

  • Plus you can probably find it on NZ television....

    By Blogger S., at 8:01 AM, February 23, 2006  

  • Robb just doesn't know what he's missing! He would love those horrid auditions,- not that a kind
    soul such as he would make fun of
    some poor idiot that has no clue
    he/she can't sing a note, of course.

    Anyway, we are doing so poorly at
    the Olympics that I will be a little relieved when it is over
    and I can concentrate more fully
    on A I and other pithy, informative, and inspiring television. I love television.

    There. I've admitted it.

    Just don't put me in front of The
    Simpson's. Makes me shiver to think of it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:58 PM, February 23, 2006  

  • Sorry to hear it. There's nothing better on TV. (I'm on a 17-year sabbatical till the kids grow up--but I bet it will still be on after my little break.)

    By Blogger S., at 9:36 PM, February 23, 2006  

  • It was on tv here from 7am-10am, sometime in the afternoon, and then 9 or 10-midnight. It would be easier for me to watch the Simpsons, generally speaking. Mom, you just don't understand how important that show is to our understanding of our own culture. It is brilliant. Like Dudly Moore and Peter O'Toole in a cartoon form.

    By Blogger The Doctor, at 8:03 PM, February 26, 2006  

  • Just want to go on record as saying that Chris is going to win and Taylor is going to come in second. These are my predictions for Idol 06.

    By Blogger S., at 1:06 PM, March 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home